Mo's Bacon Chocolate Chip Pancake Mix Recipe
The newest member of the bacon + chocolate family combines the Mo's Bacon Bar with fluffy flapjacks. These buttermilk pancakes are spotted with chunks of our most popular Exotic Candy Bar, which combines applewood smoked bacon and Alder sea salt with deep milk chocolate.
Prep Time: 15 Mins | Cook Time: 3 mins
- Mo's® Bacon Chocolate Chip Pancake Mix
- 2 cups pancake mix (enclosed)
- 1 packet of Mo's Bacon Bar chocolate chips (enclosed)
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- Bacon fat or butter at room temperature to grease the griddle
- Grade A Fancy Maple Syrup
Katrina's Inspiration"I began experimenting with bacon + chocolate at the tender age of 6, while eating chocolate chip pancakes drenched in Aunt Jemima® syrup, as children often do. Beside my chocolate-laden cakes laid 3 strips of sizzlin' bacon, just barely touching a sweet pool of maple syrup...From there, it was just a matter of time…and what began as a love of salt and sweet quickly unraveled into an obsession. A pancake mix that includes addictive bites of bacon and chocolate, circling the story back to its inception at my childhood breakfast plate."
- 1. Pre-heat oven to 200 ° F to keep the finished pancakes warm.
- 2. Heat a griddle to 350-375 ° F. Since every griddle is calibrated differently, it is best to do a test to ensure the perfect temperature.
- 3. Drop a few beads of water on the griddle. The water should "skate" across the top-if the beads jump, the griddle is too hot.
- 4. Place 2 cups pancake mix in a bowl; create a well in the center of the mix with your hands.
- 5. In a separate bowl, mix 2 egg whites with 3 cups buttermilk (if you like a thicker pancake, reduce buttermilk to 2 ½ cups). If you don't have buttermilk on hand, you can easily make you own by combining 1 tbsp lemon juice for every 1 cup of milk.
- 6. In a third bowl, mix 2 egg yolks with 4 tbsp melted butter.
- 7. Combine wet mixtures and pour ingredients into the center well of the pancake mix.
- 8. Whisk for 25 seconds maximum. Do not over mix; the batter should have lumps.
- 9. Using a pastry brush, grease the griddle with a little bacon fat or butter.
- 10. Delicately ladle ¼ cup portions of the batter on the griddle, spaced about 2 inches apart. Take care not to burst any of the bubbles in the batter while ladling.
- 11. Cook the pancakes until the batter bubbles have risen to the surface of the pancake and edges are slightly dry-about 2 minutes.
- 12. Scatter the bacon chocolate chips evenly across the top of the pancakes or wait until the pancakes are cooked and layer chips between pancakes for a melted bacon chocolate bite.
- 13. Flip each pancake and cookie for about 45 seconds, making sure not to burn the chocolate. Repeat until all the batter is depleted.
- Keep finished pancakes warm in the pre-heated oven in an oven-safe dish with a cloth towel layered between each pancake. Serve pancakes with generous amounts of real maple syrup.
Yields: Each batch yields approximately 8, 5–inch pancakes. 2 batches per container.