Bacon Bar and Chorizo Stuffed Dates Recipe
The magic of that salty and spicy meat, a touch of sweet chocolate and some acidic tomato is heightened by a roasting process that brings it all together. Spread the flavor and try it out.
Prep Time: 1 Hour Cook Time: 25 Mins
IngredientsFor bacon bar stuffed dates
- 1 Vosges Mo's® Bacon Bar (3 oz)
- 15 medium-sized Medjool dates
- 3 chorizo sausages, casing removed
- 8 pieces Nueskes Bacon
- 1 batch of Spicy Oaxaca Red Sauce (recipe follows)
- Bundle of cilantro, for serving
For Oaxaca Red Sauce:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium sweet Spanish onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red wine or sherry to deglaze
- 1 lb skinned, heirloom tomatoes or canned San Marzano tomatoes
- 3 oz. Guajillo & Chipotle Chili Super Dark Chocolate Bar
- 1/2 dried chipotle chili, reconstituted in water, seeded
- 1 tbsp olive oil to finish
- salt to taste
- 3 splashes liquid smoke
- 1 tsp cumin
Katrina's Inspiration"This recipe is inspired by a signature dish of likely my favorite restaurant in Chicago, avec, owned by Chef Koren Grieveson. The taleggio foccaccia and bacon wrapped chorizo stuffed dates are two of my passions on the menu. I have created my own version of Koren's dates, by of course, adding chocolate to the dates and in the sauce."
DirectionsBacon Bar Stuffed Dates:
1. Cut the dates on one side lengthwise and remove the pits. Break each 3 oz. bacon bar square into 4 pieces. Cut bacon strips in half.
2. Stuff each date with 1 tbsp of chorizo and place a piece of bacon bar in the center of the chorizo. Fold chorizo around chocolate and close date. Wrap each date in half a piece of bacon.
3. Sear bacon-wrapped dates over high heat in an ungreased pan until crispy. Set aside.
4. Preheat the over to 350 degrees.
For Oaxaca Red Sauce:
1. Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in large stock pan. Add onion and garlic with salt and sugar, cooking over medium heat until translucent. Add tomato paste and deglaze pan with sherry; cook until the majority of alcohol is boiled off, about 3 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes, Guajillo & Chipotle Chili Super Dark Chocolate Bar and chipotle chili. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
3. Purée with an immersion blender until smooth. Add cumin, liquid smoke and season to taste with olive oil and salt.
1.In a deep baking sheet (about 1″ side walls) pour Oaxaca red sauce about half-way up the sheet. Transfer the seared dates to the baking sheet, spacing each about 1 inch apart.
2. Bake the dates in sauce for 25 minutes.
3. Serve in sauce, garnish with cilantro and bacon bar shavings.
Yields: 15 stuffed dates & sauce