Maple Chocolate Pudding with Bacon Spoon Recipe
This sensuous and sizzlin' appetizer marries the savory and salty taste of crispy bacon with the sweet, rich taste of maple pudding with a hint of vanilla. These are wonderful hors d'oeuvres for breakfast and dinner, and they're perfect for entertaining.
Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 50 min.
- 5 oz milk chocolate 45% cacao, melted
- 3 oz heavy whipping cream
- 2 oz maple syrup – Grade A maple syrup amber
- Vanilla bean, sliced in half and seeded (optional)
- Bacon, Nueskes apple wood smoked thick cut
- 1 tbsp Alderwood smoked salt
Katrina's Inspiration"This recipe is the original ancestor of the growing Vosges bacon + chocolate family and the first manifestation of my childhood bacon and chocolate dreams. This sensuous appetizer reappeared at my 2005 gypsy wedding to my Love where mini shot glasses were handed out amongst the trees to guests who eagerly reached for the bacon spear spoon."
For a stronger vanilla flavor, soak the vanilla bean and scraped pod overnight in the cream. The next day, follow the directions below:
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Place parchment paper on a baking sheet and line with bacon.
2. Bake for 40 minutes until golden brown.
3. Boil cream with vanilla bean seeds and pod. Once the boil is reached, turn off the heat and let infuse and cool for 10 minutes. Pour the cream atop the melted milk chocolate.
4. Using a whisk, stir chocolate, cream and maple syrup slowly together to a glossy emulsion.
5. Partially fill vodka shot glass or Riedel "O" glasses or any small cute cups with the warm pudding. Sprinkle with a pinch of smoked salt and place a spear of bacon in the center sticking out from top.
Serve "pudding" warm. Encourage guests to use the bacon as a "spoon" to eat the pudding, nibbling it down as they go. Be sure to serve extra bacon on the side.
Alternative presentation: Skewer the bacon on long wooden skewer sticks, weaving the raw bacon onto the stick. Bake the skewers to golden brown. Remove from oven, place on a platter and drizzle with chocolate maple "pudding." A show stopper either way, I assure you.
How to eat: First you grasp the crisp strip dripping in the "pudding," slowly bring it to your mouth and marvel at the taste of the sweet, maple-scented pudding. Dip again with your bacon and nibble as you spoon in the richness of the pudding. Often the bacon spear is finished before the pudding has vanished and I have many times witnessed guests drink down the final drops or reach for an extra bacon spoon to finish off the last drops. So be sure to have extras arranged on a platter. Trust me, they will disappear.
Full Moon Brownies Recipe
Classic Chocolate Brownies with a Vosges® spin using our Black Pearl® Dark Chocolate Exotic Candy Bar.
Bacon Bar and Chorizo Stuffed Dates Recipe
The magic of that salty and spicy meat, a touch of sweet chocolate and some acidic tomato is heightened by a roasting process that brings it all together. Spread the flavor and try it out.
Organic Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Panini Recipe
A delicious combination of savory and sweet, this recipe will satisfy even the strongest comfort food cravings. This organic peanut butter, chocolate and banana panini is made with a special butter from Isigny Ste Mere that contains coarse grains of grey sea salt.