Vosges Value No.4
We are intentional in all that we do, accountable for our impact as we create chocolate with a worldview.
At Vosges Haut-Chocolat®, we are aware of the impact that our artisanal crafted chocolate process has on our planet and our people, which is why we continually strive towards a greener product, workplace and production facility. With each small step, we reach towards a future of less impact on the environment. Please read below for our Green Purchasing Oath, and to learn about the steps that we have taken toward our manufacturing green, packaging green, shipping green and living green.
We purchase ingredients having luxurious taste and sustainable merit like our Rainforest Alliance and organic certified chocolate. We purchase packaging made primarily of post-consumer recycled paper, renewable resources, or bio-degradable materials. We purchase organic and recycled cleaning products and office supplies from our preferred vendors. We power our manufacturing facility and boutiques with renewable energy. We bring peace to the world through chocolate one purchase at a time.
- – We are powered by wind! Vosges Haut-Chocolat is proud to announce that our chocolate is produced using 100% renewable energy. Our boutiques in Chicago, New York and Las Vegas also run on 100% renewable energy. Learn more at www.renewablechoice.com.
- – Our facility and production processes have been certified as an organic manufacturing facility.
- – Whenever possible, we buy organic ingredients for our products. We use organic sugar, butter, cream and nuts in our chocolate confections. Our organic chocolate is also Rainforest Alliance certified. Rainforest Alliance encourages cocoa farming practices that are sustainable over the long term by maintaining a healthy environment, decent working conditions and fair wages. The Alliance works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior.
At Vosges Haut-Chocolat we are continuously sourcing sustainable and biodegradable options for our packaging.
- – All of our chocolate bar boxes are recyclable and are made from 100% recycled material, containing at least 60% post consumer content.
- – We use paper that is at least 10% post consumer/recycled for all printed materials. Whenever possible, we use vegetable and soy based inks for printing.
- – Our purple boxes are made from 100% recycled material.
- – We love to find second or third uses for our packaging to cut down on waste. Although our purple boxes are already made from 100% recycled board, reusing them again keeps them out of the landfill. Some of our regular customers have created innovative alternate uses for our signature purple packaging, including: storage for office supplies, sorting items in their dresser drawers, reusing purple satin ribbon on gifts or in hair, or even jewelry storage.
- – Our shipping boxes are made from recycled cardboard and embellished with our logo—printed with water based purple ink.
- – Our shipping department has switched from Styrofoam peanuts to air–filled bags that create much less waste in each package. Our bags are now made from 100% post consumer waste and are biodegradable.
- – When temperatures rise, we ship our chocolate using coolers that can be shipped back to our facility for reuse at no additional charge to our customers.
- – We recycle our printer cartridges with Cartridge World in Chicago. Our IT department drops off old/non–functioning computers and hardware at Best Buy for recycling of safe disposal.
- – Every piece of paper in our office is either reused in our printers or recycled.
- – We recycle in our corporate office, manufacturing facility and retail stores.
- – We partner with Chicago based non-profit organization Creative Pitch, which coordinates the donations of materials that would otherwise be thrown away to art educators in the city of Chicago. These educators use the materials for art projects for extremely under funded arts programs. Vosges® donates old display truffle boxes, parchment paper, truffle trays, tubes, ribbon from both the assembly line and our Chicago boutiques, and much, much more. Visit www.creativepitch.org for more information, and to see how you can get involved.