Vosges Value No.4
We are intentional in all that we do, accountable for our impact as we create chocolate with a worldview.
- At Vosges Haut-Chocolat®, we are aware of the impact that our artisanal crafted chocolate process has on our planet and our people, which is why we continually strive towards a greener product, workplace and production facility. With each small step, we reach towards a future of less impact on the environment. Please read below for our Green Purchasing Oath, and to learn about the steps that we have taken toward our manufacturing green, packaging green, shipping green and living green.
We measure our sustainable impact on the world with each and every purchase we make. We grade our ingredients, packaging, energy and office supplies in order to qualify their green status and we review that grade quarterly. With that in mind, we use packaging that is made primarily of post-consumer recycled paper, purchase renewable energy credits to offset our energy draw from the grid, employ organic and/or bio-degradable materials when available, and utilize non-toxic, "green" cleaning products and office supplies at all times. We consistently monitor our green impact and are continually looking for new alternatives to create a cleaner, more environmentally friendly world.
- Vosges Haut-Chocolat is a certified organic manufacturing facility that operates on 100% renewable energy. Learn more at www.renewablechoice.com. Under its Green Purchasing Oath, the chocolatier selects ingredients with sustainable merit and uses packaging made of 100% post-consumer recycled material for its chocolate bars and purple boxes
- Vosges Haut-Chocolat sources chocolate from carefully selected suppliers, many of whom are organic and Rainforest Alliance Certified. We also recently planted our first crop of cacao in Belize, which will allow us to oversee the entire value chain, from root to bar – learn more. All of our chocolate confections are crafted in our production facility in Chicago, IL. We believe that protecting human rights is the shared responsibility of all parties in the cocoa value chain and we expect our suppliers and business partners to champion and uphold fair labor standards and policies.
At Vosges Haut-Chocolat we are continuously sourcing sustainable and biodegradable options for our packaging.
- – All of our chocolate bar boxes are recyclable and are made from 100% recycled material, containing at least 60% post consumer content.
- – We use paper that is at least 10% post consumer/recycled for all printed materials. Whenever possible, we use vegetable and soy based inks for printing.
- – Our purple boxes are made from 100% recycled material.
- – We love to find second or third uses for our packaging to cut down on waste. Although our purple boxes are already made from 100% recycled board, reusing them again keeps them out of the landfill. Some of our regular customers have created innovative alternate uses for our signature purple packaging, including: storage for office supplies, sorting items in their dresser drawers, reusing purple satin ribbon on gifts or in hair, or even jewelry storage.
- – Our shipping boxes are made from recycled cardboard and embellished with our logo—printed with water based purple ink.
- – Our shipping department has switched from Styrofoam peanuts to air–filled bags that create much less waste in each package. Our bags are now made from 100% post consumer waste and are biodegradable.
- – When temperatures rise, we ship our chocolate using coolers that can be shipped back to our facility for reuse at no additional charge to our customers.
- – We recycle our printer cartridges with Cartridge World in Chicago. Our IT department drops off old/non–functioning computers and hardware at Best Buy for recycling of safe disposal.
- – Every piece of paper in our office is either reused in our printers or recycled.
- – We recycle in our corporate office, manufacturing facility and retail stores.
- – We partner with Chicago based non-profit organization Creative Pitch, which coordinates the donations of materials that would otherwise be thrown away to art educators in the city of Chicago. These educators use the materials for art projects for extremely under funded arts programs. Vosges® donates old display truffle boxes, parchment paper, truffle trays, tubes, ribbon from both the assembly line and our Chicago boutiques, and much, much more. Visit www.creativepitch.org for more information, and to see how you can get involved.