The holly's perennial nature calls to the heart of the human spirit. As we grow, it takes patience and reflection to acknowledge and embrace those elements that lie evergreen within us. With the Holly Moon upon us (July 8 - August 4), there is no better time to lean on a chocolate ritual to honor and manifest your own personal power, patience, and determination.
Did you know that wood from the holly was once used to construct the shafts of spears? They were trusted to fly true and straight in whichever direction they were pointed. Like the holly, we must identify our own true direction and ensure that we are consistently tracking towards it. The sharp points of a holly’s leaves remind us to move forward carefully and intentionally; its fruits, and our own, are only attained with patience and determination.
With this potent period for manifestation upon us, the time is now to recreate a chocolate ritual at home in honor of the Holly Moon. For those of you who subscribe to our 13 Moon Lunar Club, you may be familiar with these manifestation practices, but for those who aren't here is a small primer...
Getting Ready for Ritual
- Find a place in nature that feels calm and peaceful to you. It's an added bonus if you live near a holly tree or bush, and near a body of water.
- Come barefoot, if you can. Grounding yourself in this way can help increase manifestation potential and your connection to Mother Nature.
- Bring your favorite crystals or "lucky charms" (Amazonite is perfect for this as it is the stone of luck and success).
- If you like to write, a pen and paper is a perfect partner for penning your intentions.
- Bring chocolate! Consuming chocolate during intention-setting rituals is an extremely powerful way to propel its positive effects throughout your body.
- Apply the ritual liberally, but don't feel like you need to follow the "rules." Do what energizes you and makes you feel good.
Putting to Practice
- Once you are ready, set your intentions for this ritual. Focus on finding your true direction. Perhaps you want to boost confidence in your daily life, or maybe you are looking for guidance on a particular situation, either way- write it down.
- If you are near a body of water, carry three red berries to it before a shining Holly Moon. If you are not able to get to a body of water, you may use your own tub or backyard pond.
- Let each berry represent your past, present and future self, respectively. Observe and acknowledge the distinguishing characteristics of each and crush the berries within your palms, creating a balm to rub over your hands. Rinse your palms in the water, allowing the berries to wash through the water, remaining true in whichever direction they may drift.
- Reward yourself for the immense journeys you have already endured and will yet still undertake with a quiet moment of indulgence. Take a nibble of a dark chocolate truffle or confection of your choice. Allow it to melt over your palate as your body begins to sway with the passing waves of the wind.
- Let your movements lengthen and grow until you are performing a dance of improvisation and inspiration guided by nature's melody and your own supple spirit. Let go and embrace the open air around you!
- As your dance concludes, give one open-mouthed exhale of thanks, leaving your gratitude echoing throughout your space.